Understanding the Danger of Scaffolds
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI), more than 50 fatalities and 4,500 injuries a year are caused by collapsed or failed scaffolding.1 In another study from the Bureau, it was discovered that 72 percent of workers injured in a scaffolding accident attributed their accident to the planking/support giving way, slipping, or being struck by a falling object.
Consider the following statistics from that same BLS study:
- 25 percent of workers injured received no scaffold safety training
- 77 percent of scaffolds involved did not have guardrails
- An estimated 50 lives could be saved annually by compliance with OSHA standards
What Are the Common Causes of Scaffolding Accidents?
- Improper use of the scaffolding
- Incorrect installation of the scaffolding
- Defective parts on the scaffolding2
- Improperly maintaining the scaffolding
Talk to Our St. Louis Personal Injury Attorneys:
If you or someone you love was injured in a scaffolding accident, we can help. Get in touch with our personal injury attorneys located in our main office in St. Louis to learn more about how we can help you, no matter where in the nation you live. We offer free case reviews!