Common Birth Injuries
There are several forms of birth injuries. Some of the most common include the following:
- Subconjunctival Hemorrhage
- Brachial Palsy Injuries (Erb’s Palsy)
What Causes Birth Injuries?
Birthing is one of the most precarious times for a woman. Despite enormous technological advances in the care and treatment of both mother and baby, there are still several factors that can increase the risk factors of a birth injury occurring.
Birth injury risk factors include:
- Size and position of the baby
- Cephalopelvic disproportion (CPD)
- Prolonged labor or childbirth
Medical Malpractice & Birth Injury Claims in St. Louis & the U.S.
In some instances, a birth injury can be attributed to medical malpractice. Examples include when the doctor:
- Fails to respond to fetal distressFails to anticipate birth complications
- Fails to respond appropriately to bleeding
- Fails to observe or respond to umbilical cord entrapment
- Delays an order to perform cesarean section (C-section)
- Misuses the forceps or a vacuum extractor
- Administers Pitocin inappropriately